Any opinions on Quest refrigerant with "Sub-Zero"?

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

Any opinions on Quest refrigerant with "Sub-Zero"?

Postby Initial_EG » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:13 am

This is the product:

http://www.efproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=347

And they so conveniently have the MSDS available and it's readily comparable to their regular 134a:

http://www.efproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=301

The can says it contains 11 oz of 134a and 2 oz of their special Sub-Zero OIL (as it turns out, a synthetic oil). I'd hate to assume it is compatable with the regular oil, but it's hard not to since it doesn't specify. Considering this special stuff is an oil, wouldn't one need to remove 2 oz from the system before using this stuff? Any opinions or experience with this product? I believe my system has plenty of oil in it; the compressor remanufacturer said it was loaded and don't add any oil when charging. I'm leaning toward putting good 'ol plain R-134a in instead, but since I have the evaporator out, I might be able to remove 2 oz of oil...

Another related question.. how do you know if there's too much oil in the system? I replaced the drier and compressor and did a 134a conversion on my 93 civic, but for all I know, there was mineral oil still in the evaporator, condensor, and lines. I guess the right thing to do would be to flush the system... but how does one really know if there's too much oil in the system?
Initial_EG

Favorite Refrigerant: R12

Re: Any opinions on Quest refrigerant with "Sub-Zero"?

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:02 pm

(Quote)the compressor remanufacturer said it was loaded and don't add any oil (end quote)

Dump out what comes out of old one as an idea unless it fried then system needs a total flush out.

What oil is in new compressor? You can just dump it out and use you own and if you do want the type that's in it still take it out an measure it when calculating oil charge. Either way bench spin new compressor many times to cirulate oil thru it.

I'd avoid the Sub-Zero with whatever oil in it for this. It's probably compatible with the common PAG oils used in OE 134a vehicles and IMO just a marketing ploy. If a system was a serious leaker and losing oil this could help limp one along but againn IMO it would be dumb luck.

If you are leaving OE mineral behind, Ester oil is supposed to get along with remaining oil and work together and I can't know that for certain except have noted zero problems.

Unless starting from empty there's some guessing in how much oil. System states 5oz mineral when new (charts can be wrong) so measure what comes out of parts removed plus one but not less than ~2.5/3 for this job IMO. Driers won't give back all oil in them and some would be absorbed or lost along the way.

Overoiled will reduce performance and or be erratic up to choking on oil. Underoiled could shorten compressor life and make it noisy if very low. I'm about certain most systems will tolerate a couple ounces over OE suggestion.

I'd stick with pure 134a and skip anything with other stuff in it and buy just what you want/decide for oil,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Re: Any opinions on Quest refrigerant with "Sub-Zero"?

Postby Initial_EG » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:02 am

Tom, thanks for the insight.. I was leaning that way. Straight 134a it is.
Initial_EG

Favorite Refrigerant: R12

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions