01 astro van hvac controls

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

01 astro van hvac controls

Postby pdm » Sun May 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi, working on a astro van & the dash panel will not change the defrost/floor/vent doors. The fan speeds work as does the ac & heater & blend door. Just can't select floor or defrost or vent positions for air flow. I'm thinking its the dash panel controls? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
pdm

Postby Warren Willingham » Sun May 28, 2006 5:49 pm

There is a vacuum control valve on the back of the control head that switches vacuum to allow mode changes. I'm not really familiar with that particular control but it might have another for rear operation. Check all of your vacuum lines. You know I just looked again and it's an '01, not a 91. I'll add this to my list of things I have to check on the office computer (alldata and mitchell). I'll get back to you if someone else doesn't answer first. Seeya.
Warren
Click here for your tool and equipment needs: http://www.acsource.com

Click here for A/C parts: http://www.acsource.net
Warren Willingham

Favorite Refrigerant: Icewater

Postby pdm » Sun May 28, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks, this van doesn't have rear air or rear defogger. From the bit of checking i've done i think everything is electrically controlled...........
pdm

Postby CJB » Wed May 31, 2006 4:02 am

If it's stuck on defrost, then it may be a broken vacuum line.

G.M. Tech and Ignacio will be the guys that know.

If it's what I think it is, I have a tip in the the Knowledge Base that shows where a common vaccum line problem is. Pictures are of a 98', which I think is the same as 2001. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know 2000 models still have this vacuum line problem.

Try this :arrow: http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/60/astro-vent-problem

Let us know what you find!

Chris
CJB

Favorite Refrigerant: R152a

Postby pdm » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:10 am

Thanks for the link, i'll definately check that out.

It seems to blow air out of all the positions all the time. Theres always air coming from the vent,defrost & floor at the same time.

I'll let you know what i find. Enjoying browsing here, theres a lot of talent on these boards.
pdm

Postby CJB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:47 am

PDM,

I've not had one stuck on all three positions. Like something quit working during transition. This may not be the vacuum problem like I was thinking. When you loose vacuum I think you get 100% defrost only.

Do let us know what you find. Maybe GM tech or Nacho will chime in here.

Thanks,

Chris
CJB

Postby pdm » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:47 am

I had a look at the van today & it is the vacuum line, exactly as described in the link above. Haven't had a chance to repair it yet but i'll let you know when i do. Thanks again.
pdm

Postby CJB » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:33 am

Thanks PDM for getting back and letting us know. That expands the relevancy of the article to at least 2001 models.

Now, we just hope that fixes it :wink:

Thanks again, and good luck!

Chris Bede
CJB

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions