Service Bulletin 2001 and newer GM Trucks/ AC belt breakage?

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

Service Bulletin 2001 and newer GM Trucks/ AC belt breakage?

Postby ITS QIK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:24 pm

Does anyone know of a TSB on late model GM trucks regarding AC belt breakage? I`m getting 1 or 2 vehicles in my shop every week with the AC belt broke on 01 and newer Chevy / GMC trucks. Does anyone know what the Chevy Dealerships are doing to correct this problem?
ITS QIK

Postby GregMac » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:58 pm

File In Section: 01 - HVAC

Bulletin No.: 03-01-38~019A

Date: September, 2004

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Underhood Rattle Noise Heard On Acceleration (Check A/C System Performance and Compressor Operation)

Models:
2003-2004 Cadillac CTS
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2002-2004 Commercial Upfitter Chassis Vehicles

with Air Conditioning (A/C)

This bulletin is being revised to update the service procedure and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-01-38-019 (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment about an underhood rattle noise heard on acceleration or a sudden loss of A/C system performance.

Cause

This condition may be caused by liquid slugging of the A/C compressor. This condition may cause an internal failure in the A/C compressor. The serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt may also be damaged.

Correction

Technicians are to check the A/C system performance and compressor operation using the following repair procedure:

1. Open the hood and inspect the A/C compressor for damage and to see if the compressor is seized. Verify that the serpentine belt is not damaged or missing. If the A/C compressor is seized, proceed to Step 5.

2. Perform the A/C System Performance test. Refer to the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) section of SI. Correct any performance concerns or refrigerant leaks that are found.

3. Inspect the vehicle for other possible sources of A/C compressor noise or performance concerns. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-38-013 for more information.

4. After all other possible sources of A/C compressor noise or performance concerns have been eliminated, only then should the A/C compressor be replaced.

5. Remove the A/C compressor. Refer to the A/C Compressor Replacement procedure in the HVAC section of SI.

6. Inspect the transmission cooler lines for damage due to contact from the serpentine belt. Replace the transmission cooler lines if necessary.

7. Install an inline A/C system filter. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-38-006C for more information about A/C system flushing and filter installation procedures. An A/C system flush is not to be done unless prior authorization is given by the GM Area Service Manager (in Canada, the District Service Manager).

8. Install an A/C Suction Screen. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-39-003A for more information about A/C suction screen repair recommendations and procedures.

9. Install a new A/C compressor. Refer to the Compressor Replacement procedure in the HVAC section of SI.

10. Install a new orifice tube for the front A/C system. Refer to the Expansion (Orifice) Tube Replacement procedure in SI.

11. If the vehicle is a 2003 model year Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana van, the vehicle may require a new accumulator. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-01-38-016 for more information. This bulletin refers to an updated design accumulator that may improve the performance of the A/C system.

12. Install a new serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt if they have been damaged due to A/C system slugging or an A/C compressor seizure. The serpentine belt tensioner may have broken stop tabs and/or a missing front cap.

13. Verify proper operation of the A/C system.
I do all my own stunts.
GregMac

Postby ITS QIK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks Greg... This brings up another question...If this condition if caused by liquid slugging the compressor, I wonder how replacing the compressor, orifice and adding a filter and suction screen going to make the slugging go away? I`ve heard something about flashing the computer [on trucks with aux. AC] so that the clutch engages during engine cranking. Out of all the trucks that have come into my shop with a broken AC belt, I have not had one truck with a siezed compressor or broken tensioner yet. Before installing the new AC belt , I check the compressor by hand turning it a few times, they have all felt good...smooth and easy to turn, with no rough areas and the AC blows cold with no compressor noise after installing the new belt. In just the last two days I have had two Suburbans come in , both 2002`s, both with broken AC belts...I can still remember the very first one I did..what a pain in the ***putting on the new belt and it took awhile. Now it`s piece of cake and about 15 mins.
ITS QIK

Postby GregMac » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:50 pm

I believe Denso made some design changes to this compressor, making the reed valves a bit more sturdy.

The problem is that the compressor is mounted so low, and when the A/C is off, vehicle just sitting, oil drains down the hoses into the compressor, where it gathers in the bottom cylinder. On start-up, it blows one or more reed fingers off. They bounce around in the cylinder(s) and can cause the compressor to briefly lock up (and toss the belt), and as added fun, metal particles are sent to the condenser, where they clog that.
I do all my own stunts.
GregMac

Suggestion/Comment/question

Postby Nacho » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Would adding an extra ounce of oil would help?
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby GregMac » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:45 pm

I don't think so. The problem is any oil filling up the compressor. I've actually toyed with the idea of patenting some sort of check valve for this unit, as well as the low-mount 7SB16s (Mercedes, BMW, VW/Audi), but I guess the secret's out now.

If you've done any John Deeres lately, you may have noticed that there is a spring-loaded check valve in the manifold supplied with those units. I'll bet we see more of those modifications show up later.
I do all my own stunts.
GregMac

Postby ITS QIK » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:09 pm

The one way valve sounds like the solution to a bad engineering job by GM, but it`s kind of odd that on all the vehicles that I`ve had to put a belt on, not one has had a locked up or bad compressor. They have all cooled good with no noticeable noise from the compressor. Lucky customers I guess. "I would like to say that I am impressed by this AC Forum. In the short time I`ve had to check it out, [a little time yesterday] I have found many very knowledgeable AC Techs here." Thanks again.
ITS QIK

So...

Postby Nacho » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:09 pm

Nippondenso just redesigned the compressor for GM pretty much like the FX15 and the FS10. The only logical way out to owners of certain 2004-02 is replacing the compressor per TSB if all things are ruled out. God I love those TSB's!!
Nacho

Re: Service Bulletin 2001 and newer GM Trucks/ AC belt break

Postby IYAOYAS » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 pm

I just replaced a blown compressor, accumulator, and oriface on my friends 03. Within days it started chattering on accel. We have replaced the belt and tensioner. Now I have found this forum and this thread, what is my next step regarding this issue? I purchased the parts from napa, will they be the revised components referenced in this thread? Am I going to have to go out and replace all these parts with ones from the local stealer?
IYAOYAS

Favorite Refrigerant: r134a

Re: Service Bulletin 2001 and newer GM Trucks/ AC belt break

Postby Nacho » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 pm

There is a great chance you got a Chinesse knockoff compressor from Napa, even brand new. I would use Chinesse ONLY on V6 models and ONLY if I had no choice. If the compressor is clattering, ask them for warranty and buy the real thing. Specially on V8 models, where the compressor sits at the bottom, you may get burned twice. There have been a few cases where we had to replace the condenser. The real thing is made either in Japan or in the USA. There are options besides the dealer. Check www.acsource.com first.
Nacho

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions